Well-Child Visits Q&A
Schedule your child’s well-child appointment to ensure they stay on the right track at ESD Pediatric Group. We will monitor their development and growth to ensure they stay on track. We have convenient locations to serve you. For more information, call us or request an appointment online.
Table of Contents:
ESD Pediatric Group believes that regularly scheduled well-child visits are an essential foundation for a healthy childhood.
These visits feature the following:
- Prevention: Your child gets scheduled immunizations to prevent illness. You also can ask your healthcare provider about nutrition and safety in the home and at school.
- Tracking growth and development: See how much your child has grown in the time since your last visit, and talk with your healthcare provider about your child’s development. You can discuss your child’s milestones, social behaviors and learning.
- Raising concerns: Make a list of topics you want to talk about with your child’s healthcare provider such as development, behavior, sleep, eating or getting along with other family members. Bring your top three to five questions or concerns with you to talk with your healthcare provider at the start of the visit.
- Team approach: Regular visits create strong, trustworthy relationships among healthcare providers, parent and child.
Well-child visits are a necessary component in ensuring your child is reaching all of their developmental milestones while also bringing up anything you may have questions about in regards to the child’s health and wellness.
The importance of well-child visits is to consistently monitor the child’s growth to ensure they live a long and happy life; this includes yearly child checkups, which are critical when monitoring the child’s development.
Scheduling appointments for your child to have regular checkups and examinations will help our healthcare providers monitor and understand what is considered normal for your child. When an unexpected illness happens, our healthcare providers are able to easily diagnose your child much sooner.
Yearly well-child visits provide a wide range of benefits that not only include protecting your child from a wide range of illnesses but also spotting developmental delays early on while still tracking your child’s growth. The well-child visit offers parents and caregivers the opportunity to talk to the child’s healthcare provider about any concerns, including their eating habits and sleep patterns, as well as get feedback and tips to help the child improve their daily routine. Annual well-child visits allow your child an essential preventative medical measure as part of their life, and should never be missed.
Well-child visits at ESD Pediatric Group consist of a scheduled appointment with your healthcare provider and will include:
• Physical examination of the child
• Any necessary vaccinations that need to be updated
• Tracking of the milestones your child is meeting based on growth, as well as behavior and developmental factors that may be concerning to you
• Illness prevention, physical fitness, nutrition, as well as health and safety of the child
• Finally, how to handle emergencies and any sudden illnesses
Well-child visit appointments are one of the best times to bring up any issues, illnesses, or concerns that your child may be facing.
If you are unsure of when your child’s next well-child visit should be, contact our clinic today, we will be more than happy to let you know when the next one should be scheduled. We can also schedule the appointment for you over the phone or through the online appointment app on our website, create a new file if you have given birth to your newborn recently, and explain the child’s vaccination schedule.
As each child begins to grow, it will be beneficial and important for the healthcare provider as well as the parents and caregiver to see them reach milestones. Regular well-child visits or check-ups will help to address and detect early on any health concerns that the child may be facing. Well-child visits ensure the child is reaching their growth and development stages accordingly. It is also a great way for the kids themselves to build a healthy relationship with their regular healthcare providers.
Parents can expect a well-child visit to go something like this:
• Update on the child’s medical history which may include weight, height, blood pressure, as well as many other vital functions
• Physical exam
• Hearing and vision screening
• Discussion based on the child’s mental health, including emotional health
• Answers to questions in regards to the child’s exercise, eating, and sleep habits
• Updating the child’s vaccinations and immunization records
If you are wondering when to schedule the child’s well-child visit with your healthcare provider, you can ask the clinic for a schedule to follow based on your child’s last exam.
We usually recommend that babies be seen by their healthcare provider at the latest of 3 to 5 days after birth, and then again at their milestone months of 1, 2, 4, 6, 9, and 12. Thereafter, we recommend your toddler be seen at the milestone months of 15, 18, 24, and 30 months. Once your child reaches 3 years of age, we recommend annual check-up visits with our office.
Visit us at ESD Pediatric Group for your child’s healthy growth and development. We have convenient locations to serve you. For more information, call us or request an appointment online. We serve patients from Milford OH, Hyde Park OH, Blue Ash OH, Montgomery OH, Loveland OH, and Mt. Orab OH.